Saturday, September 8, 2012

The Art of Simple Living

 
Proverbs 13:6-7
6. Righteousness keepeth him that is upright in the way: but wickedness overthroweth the sinner.
7. There is that maketh himself rich, yet hath nothing: there is that maketh himself poor, yet hath great riches.
 
I have been thinking on the subject of simple living for quite some time now. We as the children of God are so blessed. Many of us, sad to say, take for granted these many blessings. We live in a society where having it all and more is everything. Everyone seems to have to have the lastest and greatest, no one can simply be happy or satisfied with living a humble life. Over the last few weeks my husband and I have been cleaning house. I don't mean the general chores that we all must do - sweep, vacuum, dust, laundry, dishes, but cleaning out of things that are simply unused and take up space for no good reason. I enjoy having my home kept clean and looking nice, decorations in their place and such but clutter is so distracting and is a major annoyance. Do you ever notice when you want to sit down and relax but your house is cluttered, you can't seem to exhale and feel content? I share in this realization that I can't enjoy the moment or my day fully, when things are in disarray. I have been working to clear out my house of clutter and get back to a more simple way of living. Having the things I cherish the most and of course the necessities in my home. Things feel so much more peaceful and light. I don't want to live a life where things just simply take up space, I want my life to be full of God, love, happiness, family, memories, etc. Life is too precious to waste it on monetary things that in the end won't matter. Instead let us strive to have a life full of what God wants to bless us with. When we cram our lives full of things we aren't leaving much room for God.

No comments: